Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stamp Carving Workshop Fun!









Last Sunday I had a stamp carving workshop at my house. My friend, Wendy Gault, is a master stamp carver and she volunteered to teach us how to get started. She gave us a ton of information on the history, tools, letterboxing, as well as stamp carving tips.
Melanie, Kaylee, Julie, Sera, and I carved our first stamps and made ATCs for everyone to take home with them. Wendy made an ATC from her hand-carved stamp ( but I think she had already carved it before the workshop). Can you tell which ACWendy carved? She likes to take photos of landscapes and turn them into intricate line drawings that she carves into stamps. Everyone had a great time and we took a break to eat lunch together. Wendy is a great teacher and we were all impressed with our amateur efforts. That night I carved 2 more stamps. I made the little fairy baby and then I
carved a self-portrait stamp from a Photo Booth pic I printed out. I experiemented with different combinations of ink and tracing the stamped image with black fine line marker. Thanks Wendy for a wonderful workshop! I am excited about all the ideas I have to carve my own original stamps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool! now you'll have to try the three-step stamp carving process I learned from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. Creates pieces that look like silk screen prints!

Elena said...

You and Eileen should do this workshop @ Keys 4 Art 2012

Wendy said...

I'm so new at this blog thing I only just found this article you did on our fun day. Your portrait carving came out GREAT!! I love the way you changed-up the colors and used pen to bring out the details. SO COOL!!

I now have a blog that I'm using more as a website for my Sunday Workshops at my home. Hope that you and your friends might come over for another fun day. workshopsatwendyshouse.blogspot.com

HUGS and Happy Carving, Wendy